508-375-6888masstc@barnstablecounty.org

WHAT’S IN WASTEWATER

What’s In Wastewater

Wastewater is not surprisingly composed of 99% water. The other 1% is a mixture of solids, organic and inorganic compounds, and microorganisms.

Solids

Solids in wastewater are anything from rags, rocks, and sticks to microscopic particles of organic and inorganic material, to simple chemical compounds.

Microorganisms

Given that wastewater contains material from the veritable cornucopia of microorganisms that is the human gut, it is not surprising that wastewater is loaded with a huge variety of microscopic life from viruses and bacteria to protozoans, helminths, algae,  and rotifers.